Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Miwon Kwon's "One Place After Another" - Response

From what I can understand from Miwon Kwon's "One Place After Another", it states (in context) on how identity and site can merge to become a "place"; with identity being the representation of a town, city, or park and the community within it, as in what the "place" really is. Art pieces/sculptures are one of the few things that play the part of providing an identity for a site, and some artists like John Ahearn help contribute with making them for that purpose. Speaking of Ahearn, what he did for the South Bronx of New York was that he made sculptures to give the place a "better look" - to embody the “South Bronx attitude”; although, after many years after the sculptures were displayed in the public streets, they were taken down due to some criticism of artworks not representing the town/community that well (or at all).

Of a personal experience, I can remember when I was in my Junior High school years where there were plenty of students there that were, I would say, iffy - like jerks and bullies, though there were not many. It was like that for a while all the way up to my Freshman year at the Mahomet-Seymour High School, but that changed on the start of my Sophomore year when the high school began to be more strict on bullying to keep the school "clean"; so I rarely see (or hear about) bullying ever since then.

The closest thing I had of a defense for a site is when my parents used to rearrange furniture in my home every two years to change the look of some rooms, which normally annoyed me since I tend to get used to a certain position for furniture. There was one time when my mother wanted to rearrange my bedroom, but I suggested that I want to keep my room as it is since I already liked how my room looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment