Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Trevor Paglen's "Seeing Machines" and Ed Lake's "The Machine Gaze" - Response

Not sure what to say when it comes to photography and the technology - cameras - used to make it possible. Saying that cameras/photography are becoming a minor contributor is a bit of a stretch to me since they still play a part to creating art, documenting events, and other sorts. Although, on a side note, seeing that Bridle's New Aesthetic brought a better viewpoint on (or it changed) the visual culture, like it brought in the use of pixelation in photography and artwork.

I cannot name specific pictures, but I have seen some pictures where I couldn't identify the author of them. In my case, I can sometimes determine who made the pictures based on the style of the them, from the kind of angle/perspective they are in, the colors utilized in the pictures, the positioning of the subjects in the frame, and so on; however, one would alter their style, which would deviate from what I would be used to. There are other cases when an author can have a similar style like another author, which makes it confusing to know which author made a specific picture.

As for a perspective for a picture in terms of representation (if I understand the question on this correctly), the only thing I can say for that is on how it can give a better "light" for a subject in hand (or frame, to be more exact).

No comments:

Post a Comment